Sue, Bill, Lindsay, Alton, Al, Lenny and I could not be more excited: from September 10 to September 24 we will be on tour in Colombia, visiting Cartagena, Baranquilla, the islands of San Andres and Providencia, Bogotá, and Bacaramanga. We have put together some new material that will be performed at universities, colombos (American schools), and festivals. Come Sunday would like to thank the Robert Sterling Clark Foundation and the Old Town School of Folk Music for their generous support.
See the tour schedule for more details…..
The 2014 Chicago Jazz Festival was a big success. George and I had a blast performing, the Yestet killed it, and the other bands were smokin’. Howard Reich had some nice things to say about some of the groups and about George and I.
Here are some highlights:
1. The set with George Freeman 4tet
(first 5 photos by Lauren Deutsch)
2. Bobby Broom showing us how it’s done.
3. Hanging out with one of my favorite guitarists
4. Gabriela met Cecile McLorin Salvant. Cecile is now Gabi’s favorite vocalist. Gabi was completely blown away by Cecile and was even more moved to meet her.
5. Gabriela and Esme Bradfield dancing to “Space is the Place.”
The 36th annual Chicago Jazz Festival is going to be great one this year. (Click here for the full lineup.) This year’s festival includes some events celebrating the 100th year of Sun Ra, including a Sun Ra panel at Ganz Hall at Roosevelt University at 5:30pm, Thursday August 28, and the Arkestra closing out the festival on August 31.
I’ll be performing at the following events:
1. Wednesday, August 27 at Constellation, 3111 N. Western, reunited with the New Apartment Lounge Trio, Michael Raynor, and Matt Ferguson. 6pm start.
2. Thursday, August 28 for WDCB’s Jazz at the Bistro at Marion Street Cheese Market, 100 S. Marion St. in Oak Park, with special guest guitarist from São Paulo, Caio Afiune. 7pm-10pm.
3. Friday, August 29, with George Freeman, Mike Schlick, and Pete Benson at Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park for the Chicago Jazz Festival, 5pm.
4. Sunday, August 31, with Joel Adams’s Yestet at the Von Freeman Pavilion, 3:30pm.
I will be performing with Joel Adams’s Yestet this Friday, July 11 at Constellation, 3111 N. Western. Awesome band and great music by Joel. 9:30pm start.
John Wojciechowski – alto
Chris Madsen – tenor
Geof Bradfield – tenor
Marques Carroll – trumpet
Justin Copeland – trumpet
Tom Garling – trombone
Joel Adams – trombone
Mike Allemana – guitar
Stu Mindeman – piano
Clark Sommers – bass
Xavier Breaker – drums
Rob Dz – spoken word
Cherise Thomas – vocals
If you missed our hit last April at the Green Mill, come on out Sunday, June 29th at the Tonic Room, 2447 N. Halsted, to catch Bernard Purdie with George Freeman, Pete Benson, and me, 8pm start. There will also be a 5pm drum workshop with Bernard. Get tickets here.
photo by Michael Jackson
Just wanted to post this great pic from our Green Mill hit by one of Chicago’s finest photographers, Michael Jackson.
This was one of the greatest weekends of my career. George killed it, Bernard grooved harder than I have ever experienced, and Pete was right there with him. Thanks to Dave Jemilo for helping us make this happen.
Howard Reich wrote a nice review of the show in the Chicago Tribune.
How’d that happen? Oh, yeah, I’m in grad school.
Winter quarter is over at University of Chicago and I’m taking a break. But don’t miss what George and I got coming up:
Live at the Green Mill, April 11 and 12
The George Freeman/Mike Allemana 4tet with special guest Bernard “Pretty” Purdie.
This is going to be…no words.
Howard Reich wrote a really nice article about George and I in the Chicago Tribune. Come one out to Constellation to hear us swing some holiday cheer at the Constellation holiday party, Friday Dec. 20th at 9:30pm. No cover!!!!